Reply To: What topics would you like us to discuss?

Home Forums Publish, Perish or Podcast Forum What topics would you like us to discuss? Reply To: What topics would you like us to discuss?

cheese_n_lettuce
cheese_n_lettuce
Participant

Can’t remember if it’s been covered yet, but what about the Acknowledgements section in manuscripts or a thesis? A colleague once enlightened me that this section can be useful for peer review. He said a previous mentor use to acknowledge key competitors for their ‘valuable discussions’ in a sneaky way to exclude them from peer review due to conflict of interest. However, I’m unsure if this approach works as it depends on the editor reading this section…
On a side note, apparently the engineering faculty at a local uni has a tradition for students to access the hard copy of their thesis stored at the library and leave a $50 note in the acknowledgments section. The idea is to reward anyone who happened to read their thesis! (I’m also dubious to this story, as logically some poor student looking for beer money would just go through them all and cash in..)