Allen Finkel's thoughts

Home Forums Publish, Perish or Podcast Forum Allen Finkel's thoughts

This topic contains 1 reply, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Airgead 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Airgead
    Participant

Hi Folks

In my neverending quest to become (or stay) number one contributor…

Does some sort of distributed system for updating citations and papers after publications completely break the journal model? Yes. is that a bad thing? I don’t think so. Science is a 21st century occupation with a 17th century communication model. You guys are several hundred years overdue for an upgrade.

Now… On to Mr Finkel

1 – Current structures 0rioritising quantity over quality. Absolutely. Measurement drives behaviour and a bad measurement will result in perverse outcomes. But how do we change the system? As Chief scientist he has more influence over the system than us so what would he do? Why not ask the man himself? He’s the chief scientist he does media all the time. I’m sure you could get him on the show (or at least a written response).

2 – Training in leadership – How not to make it boring… Hire me. that’s what I do. Plenty of ways to do this. A 1 day boring training course doesn’t cut it. It takes quite a bit of introspection and self development to grow someone into a leader.

Also… Not everyone should be a leader. Not everyone wants that. But everyone can contribute to the development of young scientists. Maybe it’s not a 1:1 relationship between supervisor and student any more. Maybe there is a lead supervisor who leads several students and other people who work as more technical advisors? Or something. The old apprentice/master system doesn’t seem to be working any more. Somethign new is needed.

BTW Gibbo – Funding is the worst incentive for developing leaders. Removes intrinsic motivation. Real leadership needs to come from intrinsic not extrinsic motivation You need to believe in what you are doing, not just collect some reward for exhibiting some bahaviour.

Airgead
    Participant

Oh… And huge congrats to Cameron (and partner who let’s be honest did all the hard work) on their new arrival.

I have 2. It does get easier. Eventually. Mine are 18 and 16. Apparently it will get easier some time in the next 5-10 years.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.