What topics would you like us to discuss?

Home Forums Publish, Perish or Podcast Forum What topics would you like us to discuss?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  A.Bonilla 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    stapleton.aj
    stapleton.aj
    Keymaster

Let us know what topics are important to you and we will talk about them on the show!

cjshearer
    cjshearer

I want to hear more about science fiction movies

drgib007
    drgib007
    Participant

Agrred. More about science fiction movies would be good. In depth analysis from Dr. Gibson would be awesome

lee.is
    Participant

Could you please discuss just how scientifically accurate “the Martian” film is.
    Also, I once read that if you had more than 61 cups of coffee (in one day) it would kill you…is this true?

I’m a DOP in film and advertising, the colour green has more shades than any other….is there a scientific reason to this? Do you use green in order to see more depth and detail when using microscopes, or any other sciency utensil?

Another question while I’m at it, On episode 6 of PPoP Ian states he only washes his hands after he goes to the toilet. If he doesn’t wash his hands before he goes to the toilet then is his penis really dirty pre wee, as touching it without washed hands means bacteria he has touched throughout the day has now amalgamated on his penis until he cleans said penis. Is this true?

ps I didn’t buy the music by VoiceROM, my bum fell out. So I spent the money I should have spent on the music on a trolley. I now drag it behind me everywhere I go.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by  lee.is. Reason: Forgot to add a quesiton
    drgib007
    drgib007
    Participant

Just a quick promo for this weeks podcast.

Dr. Gibbo may have some really exciting news on this weeks “Gibbo’s citewatch”

lozz1572
    Participant

I would also like to know how accurate the Martian is.
    Also, in your scientist opinions, are we ever going to be able to have magic like Harry Potter?

lee.is
    Participant

The most dangerous thing about Harry Potter magic becoming real is that Freestyle rappers will be unstoppable, they’d cast a spell faster than you can even begin to think about what you’re saying/

lee.is
    Participant

Is this as much of an anomaly as they make it out to be?

http://news.mit.edu/2016/carbon-nanotubes-water-solid-boiling-1128

genyornis
    Participant

What have been some of the best and worst and funniest experiences of your scientific careers?

DrKytro
    DrKytro

Given enough information, divination could become a thing. We already do it, we predict whether a car is going to hit us or not before we cross the road – just expand on that, right? I’m more interested in portkeys and instant teleporters!

L. Groover

Transmutation of elements: is it possible with the aid of nanotechnology? Could we theoretically erase waste from the planet with the aid of nanotechnology? Like with some kind of molecular re-arranger?

L. Groover

More of “Gibbo’s funny stories” too; very funny

L. Groover

On the latst hit TV show, Westworld, it is mentioned that the androids that populate the park are 3D printed, and not machine based. My question is this: do you think that it is more feasible to have 3D printed androids, complete with synthetic muscle, skin & bones, over androids with machine parts, ala Ex Machina?

genyornis
    Participant

The ethics of having a co-author on a paper who didn’t really do any work, or didn’t read the paper (as per the Jan 30 podcast – which was very entertaining BTW).

Are there any circumstances where this should clearly be OK, e.g.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpher%E2%80%93Bethe%E2%80%93Gamow_paper

I’m hoping you come up with a situation or a loophole in uni (or national) policy on authorship that would allow Andy’s brother to be a legitimate co-author on a paper. If Kristin Stewart can co-author a research paper on movie imaging techniques then surely you guys can follow suit. 🙂
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/20/kristen-stewart-research-paper-neural-style-transfer

Lauren S

I need to give credit for this question to my friend Jo Howie. She asked me today “do science projects ever get finished?”
    With early career researchers always searching for their next contract, do the projects they leave get finished by someone else? Or scrapped?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.