What topics would you like us to discuss?

Home Forums Publish, Perish or Podcast Forum What topics would you like us to discuss?

This topic contains 40 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Claire Claire 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    cjshearer
    CJS

@genyornis

Technically it is never ok to just hand over an authorship. We all know authorships are precious. But of course it happens all the time as part of scientific back scratching.
    Both your examples are great. It is great publicity to get a movie director/actor (or whatever she says she is) on the author list. We would have never heard of that paper otherwise. I would put Lee Stapleton on all papers if it meant free publicity.

Nobel prize winner Andre Geim included his hamster as a coauthor on a paper: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4526(00)00753-5
    (the hamster, papers = 1, citations = 12). My H-index = 11. Why do I bother?

bumblebees

Existential crisis: Wanting to be good at everything means never having time to be really good at anything. Is there a space for the jack of all trades or should he just go work a part time job in a school and give up dreams of scientific adequacy?

Or, can you be a scientist and still have a weekend?

Also, what are you all wearing 😉

cjshearer
    T-bone sux

Thanks Bumblebees. Really good suggestion. We just recorded our discussion on your topic. It should be in ep 28 (or maybe 27 or 29, it is hard to keep track).

electronsonmars
    Participant

I’m not yet caught up on all the episodes yet (listening to ep 23 right now), so maybe you’ve already discussed this one.

As a chemistry grad student, I still haven’t gotten the hang of keeping up with the literature. The more papers I look at in a day, the less I remember from each one. Conversely, if I make sure to really understand the papers I read, I end up with a huge backlog of unread papers.

How do you keep up with the literature? And, on a similar note, how often do you read papers that are outside your sliver of the field?

Thanks for the great podcast. It’s keeping me sane through long hours spent at the TEM.

stapleton.aj
    stapleton.aj
    Keymaster

Excellent question!

We’ll try our best to answer your question at the next recording!

I love that you are enjoying the podcast! It’s great fun to do!

Alicia
    Participant

I recently missed out on getting a great and pretty important scholarship, would’ve made my career post-PhD heaps easier and made my actual PhD research much more achievable without worrying too much about the dollars. How do you (as MCR’s) deal with missing out on important (or vital) grant applications/ fellowships etc.? Also do you have any tips on how to prepare well for an interview where you just talk about your work? I really struggled to sell my research to the interviewers, and I even had maps!

Thanks for making such a great science based podcast, some great advice on navigating the world during and beyond PhD life!

DrKytro
    DrKytro
    Participant

It occurs to me while listening to all your brilliant ideas that a cursory risk assessment (including ethics approval) would probably cut short the fireworks, the dating science, drumming and so forth.
    Do you think bureaucracy around science is stifling progress, is the balance right, or is there more work to be done still?

Mike
    Participant

Love the podcast guys. It makes for some fun entertainment while sitting the lab doing measurements.

Since you guys have done postdocs overseas (UK, Germany), maybe you could discuss the differences in the academic system and the advantages and disadvantages in your opinion. There is only one restriction Chris is only allowed to say Cambridge once.

Keep it up guys and greetings from the US.

stapleton.aj
    stapleton.aj
    Keymaster

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike! We’ll get to it soon. Keep listening and We’ll try and keep Gibbo of the Cambridge topic…it’ll be hard!

Mike
    Participant

Thanks for the mention in the last episode. Just a couple of hints where Andy and I know each other from: UQ and TCEs.

Keep it up guys.

A.Bonilla
    Participant

From all of the struggles that you guys have exposed I was wondering, do you think science cares about scientists?
    If yes, how?
    if not, Why?
    if once did and now doesn’t, when all this happened?

DrKytro
    DrKytro
    Participant

All this talk of kids! The age group of EMCRs means a lot of us (them?) are thinking or having/had children. It’s a shocker with contracts and instability though, double whammy on women who come back to no contract and career interruption judgement. Could be an interesting discussion on PPoP, especially comparing AU to other countries you’ve worked in?

cabbage
    Participant

It looks super hard to have a full-on research career as a woman if you want kids, since you need a chunk of time away and somehow return part time for a bit. Arguably it’s about as easy as it is to get a permanent job.

But… no-one has asked “what happens if you get sick?” Like.. really sick, long term. Is there much hope for anyone who has a reoccurring physical or mental ailment? What’s the sickest you’ve been and still gone to work?

DrKytro
    DrKytro
    Participant

That’s a great question, cabbage! I’d love to hear a guest speaker on PPoP who could address it through lived experience. There’s some awesome researchers using Twitter to keep in touch through chronic ailments

cheese_n_lettuce
    cheese_n_lettuce
    Participant

Building on Episode 41 on science the shit out of fashion… how about a discussion of fashion in the lab? Sleeves rolled up, full PPE, thongs (watch out safety), or the dreaded short skirt/shorts and lab coat combo that makes you look naked underneath? the_funkydr

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.